What Is a Reverse Mortgage?
A reverse mortgage allows you to borrow against the equity you’ve established in your home. To be eligible, you must be age 62 or older and own your home free and clear, or have a remaining mortgage balance that can be paid off by the reverse mortgage. You’ll want to consult a tax advisor to confirm this, but in most cases, a reverse mortgage gives you access to tax-free funds. Instead of making payments, you can choose to receive them, thus the “reverse.” You can also now purchase a home with a Reverse Mortgage and make no payments as long as you live in the home, pay your property taxes and insurance, and maintain proper upkeep of the property. Ask your Reverse Mortgage Specialist for more information.
Why Get a Reverse Mortgage?
There are no restrictions on how you may use proceeds received through a reverse mortgage. You can direct the funds toward a variety of purposes, including:
- Supplementing retirement income
- Planning for long-term care needs
- Remodeling or repairing your home
- Covering health care expenses
- Paying property taxes
- Growing your investment portfolio
- Even to purchase a second or vacation home
- Reducing high-interest debt
Reverse Mortgage Eligibility
Reverse mortgage eligibility requirements are quite simple. There are no income, employment or credit qualifying restrictions. All homeowners must be age 62 or older and occupy the property as their principal residence. The home must be owned free and clear or have a remaining mortgage balance that can be paid off by the reverse mortgage. The property must be a single-family or a one-to-four unit, owner-occupied dwelling. Townhomes, detached homes, condominium units, planned unit developments (PUDs), and some manufactured homes are eligible. The home must meet Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) minimum property standards. In some cases, home repairs can be made after a reverse mortgage closing.
Contact us for more information, and to see if a reverse mortgage is the right option for you. One of our loan officers can answer your questions and see if you qualify.
Refinancing with AFF was a very pleasant experience for my wife and I. The staff was very knowledgeable, friendly and professional and I would highly recommend AFF and Fred Arnold to my friends and family.
- Buying a home is usually very stressful but with Rhona and Joanie, the whole process went extremely smooth and with the least amount of stress possible. I am very pleased with the service I received and would highly recommend Rhona as a mortgage specialist and Joanie as a realtor.Jennifer
- We needed to end our PMI payments, reduce or interest rate and shorten the length of our payoff time. Rhona put a package together that did all of this and then walked us through each step of the process. She was completely professional and went out out of her way to make sure we understood everything. We were very pleased!Mark
- Complete faith in Patti's knowledge and integrity! She and her team kept a clear line of communication with me and swept through the process in no time. It's all in the details. Thank you!!!Julie
- Patti Handy was knowledgable and personable with an impressive way of explaining the confusing world of loans. Kenneth
Patti and her team at American Family Funding provided excellent service for my husband and I in the purchase of our new home. We started the loan process with a different company that was slow in proceeding and at times unresponsive. When we switched to American Family Funding, Patti started immediately, kept us informed, completed each step quickly, and had us at closing in record time. We would highly recommend Patti Handy and American Family Funding.